Churubusco Community Park was started when Jerome Krider and a group of others saw a need for a permanent community and Boy Scout building in 1949. Mr. Krider was able to start pursuing this from a donation of 2 acres of land from the President of Churubusco State Bank, Joe Luckey and his family, whose residence was on nearby Mulberry Street . The first shovel of dirt was turned on September 18, 1950 for the log cabin style building construction. It was made possible from funds and materials donated from local businesses and patrons along with revenue from the first Turtle Days festival, held in the summer of 1950 on the streets of downtown ‘Busco. The building was completed and dedicated in 1951. Shortly after, construction of a tennis and basketball court was added along with picnic tables and grills. With land added from purchases or donations over the years since 1950, the Park now boasts over 60 acres and one of the nicest parks in Northeast Indiana.
The Churubusco Community Park offers many worthwhile activities for people of all ages. Its facilities include:
- 4 lighted baseball-softball diamonds
- 2 t-ball diamonds
- New soccer fields
- Beach volleyball court
- Pavilion and picnic area
- Family and reunion community building
- Fenced skate park
- Concession stands
- 3 outside restrooms
- Asphalt trail connecting Threshers Ridge, school, and town streets
- Lighted horseshoe area
- State of the art fenced Splash Pad with canopy, picnic area and kid’s playground
- 5 lighted tennis courts
- Lighted asphalt basketball court
- Cross country course
- Mulched trails in 14 acre woods with deck, bridges, & benches leading to wildlife marsh
- 3 batting cages with practice pitching areas and soft-toss backstops
- Close-up asphalt drive and parking to all facilities
- Large kids playground
- Maintained flower gardens
HOURS OF OPERATION
- Park hours- 7 am-11 pm
- Splash Pad- 11am -7pm (seasonal, usually opening in mid-May and closing mid-September)
The Scout Building and Pavilion are available for year round rental for parties, receptions, or meetings. For rental information, including pricing, please contact the Clerk’s Office at (260)693-9350.
Scout Building Amenities
- Being remodeled January 2013!
- Air conditioned
- Full kitchen
- Private indoor bathrooms, soon to be handicap accessible (Spring 2013)
- 14 banquet tables and 70 chairs
The Splash Pad is available for before and after hour rental for your parties or special events! Contact the Clerk’s Office for more information and prices!