FOUR FULL TIME POLICE OFFICERS
Marshal Mike Engle
- Full-time Officer since April 2012.
- 18 years as a part-time Officer with Churubusco P.D.
- Retired from Whitley County Sheriff Dept. with 25 years service.
Officer Chad Fulkerson
- Full-time Officer serving since 1996.
- Presently a School Resource Officer.
Officer Garry Jones
- Full-time officer serving since 2000.
- Works 1st and 2nd shift.
Officer Adam Swinehart
- Full-time Officer serving since 2002.
- Works 3rd shift.
THREE PART-TIME OFFICERS
Officer Tony Helfrich
- Officer serving since 1989.
- Is also a 17-year veteran Deputy Sheriff.
Officer Melanie Crapser
- Part-time Officer serving since 2001.
- Was a Ft. Wayne Officer for 7 years.
Officer Paul Rennaker
- Part-time Officer serving since 2007
- Is also a 22-year veteran Deputy Sheriff.
ONE RESERVE OFFICER
- Reserve Officer serving since 2007.
- There is now a website where you can start the process. The website is http://aries.in.gov/firearms/permit.aspx.
- You must apply at the Churubusco Police Department in person, EVEN IF YOU HAVE STARTED THE PROCESS AT THE WEBSITE.
- You must be a resident of Whitley County. ( If you live in the city limits of Columbia City, Churubusco or South Whitley you must go to your local department).
- You must bring a valid, state issued, picture i.d. Your correct address must be on the i.d.
- If you have had a previous handgun license, please bring it with you.
- Please allow at least 30 minutes for the process.
- Please bring the correct amount of cash with you ( either $10.00, $40.00 or $50.00 – see below). We may not have change.
How much will it cost?
For a four year personal protection license.
$10.00 cash at the Police Department, and you will mail $30.00 to the State.
If you currently have a valid license that has NOT expired:
For a lifetime personal protection handgun license.
$40.00 cash at the Police Department, and $60.00 to the State.
If you currently DO NOT have an Indiana handgun license or your current license has expired:
For a lifetime personal protection license.
$50.00 cash to the Police Department, and $75.00 to the State.
For laws governing Indiana Handgun Licensing:
Indiana Code IC 35-47-2 at:
The fee for crash reports from the Police Department is $8.00. A copy may be picked up in person at anytime at the Police Department.
To request a copy by mail, please mail a check or money order for $8.00, made payable to the Churubusco Police. You will also need to include a self addressed, stamped, regular sized envelope.
You may also access reports online at www.buycrash.com. With a credit card you may access and print at your convenience. Note: the report will not be available until we process it.
ALL OTHER REPORTS
Theft reports, civil dispute, c.a.d. reports is $.10 per black and white page and can be picked up at the Police Department after they are processed.
To request one by mail, use the same method as explained above to get a crash report.
POLICE TELEPHONE INFORMATION
EMERGENCY CALL – 911
RINGS INTO WHITLEY COUNTY DISPATCH: (260) 693-2609
POLICE DEPT. FAX: (260) 286-1022
SHERIFF DISPATCH: (260) 244-6410
OTHER TELEPHONE NUMBERS
WHITLEY COUNTY PROSECUTOR: (260) 244-3000
WHITLEY CO. DOMESTIC VIOLENCE TASK FORCE: (260) 609-7086
YWCA SHELTER: 1-800-441-4073
WHITLEY COUNTY OFFICE OF FAMILY & CHILDREN: (260) 244-6331
PARKVIEW WHITLEY HOSPITAL: (260) 244-6191