The governing body of Churubusco is a three member Town Council elected at large for four-year terms. The Council annually elects one of its members as President.
The Council employs a Town Supervisor, approves an annual budget, authorizes expenditures, and appoints members of other advisory bodies. The Council has the power to make and establish ordinances and regulations as long as they do not conflict with State or Federal laws.
Some of the Town Council’s goals include:
1. To assure prudent use of the taxpayer’s dollars.
2. To provide effective governance of the legislative and administration structure and programs necessary to deliver Town services.
3. To maintain and enhance the public’s investment in the capital facilities and equipment required for delivery of Town services.
4. To encourage, assist, and sustain well-planned residential, commercial, and industrial growth.
5. To sustain and expand cooperative efforts with neighboring communities, governmental agencies, and other groups to accomplish mutual goals.
6. To maintain good communications with the citizens of Churubusco and sustain “Quality of Life” programs within the Town.
7. To develop a vision for the future of the Town. This vision is established in the Town’s Strategic Plan.
ABOUT THE COUNCIL
Frank Kessler, Town Council President- President Kessler is married to Jera (Krider) Kessler and they have 2 grown children, 6 grandchildren and 1 great-granddaughter. He has lived in the Churubusco area for nearly 45 years. President Kessler retired from the Indiana State Police in 1995 after 28 years of service and worked in the safety and security private sector before retiring in 2008.
President Kessler has served on the Council since January 1, 2007. In addition to serving on the Council, he is a member of the Whitley County Redevelopment Commission, serves on the Churubusco Chamber of Commerce board, and serves as a director for the ITT Employees Federal Credit Union.
President Kessler enjoys fishing, bicycling, and other fitness activities.
Mark Pepple- Mr. Pepple is married to Heather Pepple and has 3 children and 2 stepchildren. He is a Clinical Manager for Multi-Township EMS in Kosciusko County. Mr. Pepple has been serving on the Council since January 1, 2012.
Alan Malcolm- Mr. Malcolm is a lifelong resident of the Churubusco area and is the manager at Napa in Churubusco. He has been serving on Council since January 1, 2012.