JOB POSTING- PART TIME DEPUTY MARSHAL
The Town of Churubusco is currently accepting applications for a part-time deputy marshal position. This position will be under the direction of the Town Marshal and employed within the Churubusco Police Department. Applications and a complete job description can be obtained and returned to the Churubusco Government Center, 530 S. Main St., Churubusco, Indiana. Applications will be accepted until 4:30 p.m. on April 26, 2017.
The following essential job functions comprise a summary of job duties, requirements, and responsibilities contained in the job description prepared for this position. The job description will serve as the primary document in the selection and hiring process, and constitutes the context for incumbent job performance and evaluation. To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed in this document are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Patrols a designated area of the Town on foot or in a radio cruiser to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of a crime, and to enforce traffic and parking regulations.
• Answers calls and complaints involving fire, automobile accidents, robberies and other misdemeanors and felonies.
• At scene of crime administers first aid, conducts preliminary investigations, gathers evidence, obtains witnesses, and makes arrests; testifies as a witness in court.
• Interviews persons with complaints and inquiries and attempts to make the proper disposition or direct them to proper authorities.
• Issues traffic tickets; directs traffic at intersections; participates in escorting funerals and house-movers.
• Conducts accident investigations providing first-aid for injured, taking safeguards to prevent further accidents; interviews principals and witnesses, taking written statements from drivers, witnesses; examines vehicles and roadways, observing traffic control devices and obstruction to view; takes necessary street measurements; clears the scene of obstructions and wreckage.
• Escorts prisoners to and from County jail; insures that prisoners are properly guarded; supervises trustees washing cars and cleaning buildings.
• Acts as custodian of personal property and evidence being held for court presentation; maintains records of property and evidence
• Investigates crimes; searches for and preserves evidence; questions suspects and witnesses; checks pawn shops; maintains surveillance over persons and places suspected of vice operations.
• Assists in interrogation and investigations which may involve juveniles.
• Assists other officers in situations which may involve juveniles
• Performs other related police duties as assigned.
• Must be 21 years of age or older
• Must have a high school diploma or GED
• Must be able to receive a passing score with a handgun, rifle, and shotgun
• Must have good interpersonal and communication skills
• Must have knowledge of police duties and police equipment
• Must have the ability to be certified by the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy
o Officers who are already I.L.E.A certified preferred
• MUST HAVE THE ABILITY TO WORK EXTENDED, EVENING, AND/OR WEEKEND HOURS AS NEEDED
• MUST COMPLY WITH ALL EMPLOYER AND DEPARTMENT POLICIES AND WORK RULES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ATTENDANCE, SAFETY, PERSONAL CONDUCT, AND DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE.
Candidates must be able to physically perform the essential duties of the position, including exerting sustained physical effort, bending, reaching, crouching/kneeling, standing/walking for long periods, sitting for long periods, climbing ladders, pushing/pulling/lifting/carrying objects weighing more than 50 pounds, handling/ grasping /fingering objects, hearing sounds/communication, close and far vision, able to understand and follow oral and written instructions, able to work with others in a team environment, able to effectively communicate with co-workers and citizens, including being sensitive to professional ethics, gender, cultural diversities and disabilities.
LICENSE / CERTIFICATION NEEDED:
Possession of a current valid Indiana driver’s license and demonstrated safe driving record with ability to be insured at a reasonable cost required. Must pass a pre-employment drug and/or alcohol test, and adhere to policy. Must pass a criminal background check.
The Town of Churubusco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and adheres to the
Americans with Disabilities Act.